January 03 2022 – Genevieve Chaplin
Skincare products derived from natural ingredients are loaded with essential vitamins, minerals and botanicals that help to heal and restore your skin. Two such ingredients are Pomegranate extract and Witch Hazel extract. Let's look at why they're big shots in the skincare world and what they achieve for our skin!
Pomegranate is a well-renowned super-food known for its medicinal and beauty benefits. This seeded fruit is rich in polyphenols which makes pomegranate extract super effective in helping skin detox itself of free radicals. Pomegranate also helps repair skin that's been damaged by UV radiation as the anthocyanins in pomegranate work similar to Vitamin C.
But wait, that's not all! Research shows that pomegranate juice and its extract help boosts the immune system, promote healthy blood circulation, keep arteries clear and control bad cholesterol, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease, attack or stroke.
Benefits of Pomegranate for Skin
1. Antioxidant-Rich: As mentioned, pomegranate is rich in antioxidants such as anthocyanins, ellagic acid, and tannins. These antioxidants are a potent shield against free radical damage, which play a pivotal role in aging.
2. Anti-Aging: Pomegranates protect against premature aging (wrinkles and fine lines) by reducing signs of skin aging due to sun damage and exposure. They also help prevent hyperpigmentation and age spots. It also boosts collagen and elastin production.
3. Cell Regeneration: Pomegranates help in skin cell regeneration of the dermis and epidermis. They also increase blood circulation, promote accelerated tissue repair and wound healing and protect the outer layer of skin.
4. Friendly on All Skin Types: The extract is friendly on all skin times, one of many reasons why this is a sought after ingredient in skincare. For dry skin, it deeply penetrates the skin treating dry, cracked and irritated skin. It is loaded with punicic acid - an omega five fatty acid that hydrates and prevents moisture loss. For oily and combination skin, it helps combat acne and breakouts. It also helps in reducing scarring and soothes irritated skin.
Witch Hazel Extract
From cleaning solutions to natural beauty remedies, this little plant can help a lot! Witch Hazel is an astringent derived from the “hamamelis virginiana plant.” For centuries it has been used to promote skin health, help fight off infections and keep pests at bay.
Witch hazel extract is made from extracting liquid from the plant's leaves, twigs and bark. It is distilled with purified water for topical use. The witch hazel extract can be combined with other potent ingredients such as aloe vera, rose, or glycerin to help boost moisture retention.
Benefits of Witch Hazel
1. Treats Acne: one of the common reasons why acne happens is the build-up of excess oil, dirt and bacteria. Witch hazel is a natural cleanser and is effective at controlling excess oil. It contains tannins which are great at removing dirt and other impurities from deep within your pores.
2. Tightens and Refines Pores: the astringent properties of witch hazel make it great for refining and shrinking pores. The smaller the size of the pores, the less the chances of acne, breakouts or blackheads. The small-sized pores also help even skin tone and give it a natural glow.
3. Anti-Inflammatory: apart from busting acne and tightening pores, it reduces redness and inflammation. The tannins provide antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties which help soothe irritated skin and alleviate symptoms caused by skin ailments such as eczema.
Pomegranate and witch hazel are two potent ingredients on their own and in conduit. The combination of these botanical extracts paired with a unique prebiotic complex is what makes Simply Softr's Balancing Pink Clay Mask loved by so many!
Disclaimer: This blog post is solely for informative purposes. Even though research indicates that prebiotics/probiotics can alleviate certain skin conditions, we do not make any therapeutic or medical claims about our skincare. Our skincare is meant only for cosmetic purposes.